About this Wiki
This Wiki is a new addition to Emulab, and is definitely a work in progress. Registered Emulab users are encouraged to help us improve this documentation anytime you see something that needs fixing, or if you want to add something new. Just use the Login button in the upper right and you will be taken over to the Emulab login page, and then returned back here. (Note that we get notification of all changes to the wiki, so we can see if anything incorrect or inappropriate is added).
Got questions? Join the Emulab Users Forum.
Getting Started on the Testbed
- How to get an account on the Testbed
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Probably our most important reference document. Check here before asking for help. Includes sections on "Getting Started" on Emulab, using the testbed, hardware setup, software setup, security issues, and troubleshooting. Over 50 questions and answers.
- Emulab "Getting Started" Tutorial
- The basics of creating experiments, and a quick intro to frequently used features, avoiding common pitfalls, and quick solutions to the most common problems people encounter.
- Advanced Tutorial
- Examples of the more esoteric features of Emulab.
- Windows Nodes
- Using windows nodes in Emulab experiments.
- Virtual nodes
- Running experiments using virtual, rather than physical, machines.
- Xen-based virtual nodes
- Support for Xen-based virtual nodes.
- Using Emulab's wireless testbed.
- Emulab Storage
- Documentation for our new storage subsystem
- Eucalyptus on Emulab
- Create your own Eucalyptus Cloud on Emulab
- Advanced MIMO Experiments
- 802.11n MIMO
- DD-WRT firmware and 802.11n wireless cards
- Setting up DD-WRT and creating a 802.11n wireless node experiment in Emulab.
- ProtoGENI nodes
- Coming soon!
- The Emulab Knowledge Base
- A larger version of the FAQ
- Emulab Publications
- All about project subgroups
- Testbed NS Command Extensions
- Netbuild GUI Reference Manual
- How to use our original GUI application for creating topologies.
- Installation Documentation
- Node Usage Policies and everything else about swapping, idling, and fair use of resources.
- Build your own Emulab
- What we recommend for hardware if you decide to build your own Emulab.
- Software Overview
- An overview of what runs on boss, ops, and your experimental nodes.
- Hardware Overview
- An overview of the hardware at Utah's Emulab. Site specific hardware found here
- Saving Power
- Automatically turning off idle nodes in your Emulab
- Misc Documentation
- A short note on node booting and related state transitions
- The (someday) complete story of client configuration via TMCD
- Everything you (n)ever wanted to know about link shaping
- Shocking revelations about the Emulab event system implementation
- The sordid tale of configuring the control net via DHCP
- Details of files that Emulab installs on a client OS to make it play nice
- Stuff your parents didn't tell you about Cisco switches
- Setting up Shared Nodes
- The One Frisbee to rule them all, notes on the master frisbee server
- Notes on the timeouts that do or do not exist on the tbswap path
- Death by a thousand packages, making FreeBSD packages for Emulab server installs
- Using ZFS on the Emulab fs node
- Checknode subsystem
- How things boot